Can you move out of the US if you owe back taxes?

When you are an individual who owes the IRS back taxes, that means you have overdue taxes from previous years that need to paid or else you will be punished. When you owe the IRS back taxes, and you decide you think you should move to another country, you will then become a criminal. This would be a form of tax evasion, and is a criminal offense in the United States. The IRS would see this as avoiding paying your mandatory taxes, and leaving the country to keep avoiding them. The U.S. will not allow you to leave the country under these circumstances, and to be honest, another country probably wouldn't grant you permission for asylum since you are an individual who doesn't pay their taxes. You'd be considered a fugitive on the run if this ever happens.

Related Tax Questions